Monday, October 19, 2009

Lights, Camera, Action


So, this morning we went to Dr. Hutchison's office. Just being in that office makes me kind of nervous...all those IUIs that didn't work. It was easy to picture him not finding the baby...or there being some horrible problem. Today, fortunately, was great news. We didn't get to HEAR the heartbeat, we got to see it. It was like a little hummingbird...extremely rapid. We saw the little arm and leg buds moving too. It's pretty crazy. Apparently the spine looks good! Woo-hoo folic acid!!! Anyway, it was totally a little gray blob with kind of little blobs attached - the head and the arm and legs...but at the center was the fast little heart beat! Right on! The heart is beating! It is NOT an ectopic pregnancy!




So, the ultrasound uses Doppler to create the little motion/sound waves of the heartbeat. Dr. Hutchison kept saying, "This looks great!" That was nice. Of course, he also used to exclaim that my eggs or uterine lining looked wonderful. And my cervix. I guess you gotta love your job, whatever it is! Anyway, here's the heartbeat rendered as waves. This doesn't look like a lot to me, but the heartbeat was quite clear on the ultrasound, on the little blob-baby itself, so that's awesome.

Kiyomi keeps calling it a turtle. I don't really like that...but it's better than Baby Sequoia, which is what she was calling it for a while, much to my disgust! I guess it looks sort of turtle shaped. I just don't like turtles enough to want one in my uterus, you know.

Yay, heartbeat!!! I guess the chance of miscarriage now drops to the single digits. That's nice. I'm not really so worried, but I also am not quite crazy excited. It is all still so abstract. I mean, I'm soooooo happy that there was a heartbeat...and I liked seeing the little movement of the little alien...but it's still kind of...hard to believe (?) that I have another human forming inside me. Crazy!!!

5 comments:

  1. This is SO EXCITING!! I have to admit I scrolled ahead to see the pics to make sure everything LOOKED ok (yes, like a blob) before going back to read. I'm anxious! Guess it isn't twins :(

    You're gonna have something way better than a turtle - but it'll look a lot more like a wrinkled old man. With dimples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I might take a wrinkled old man over twins! Yeah, it looked "good" and "normal," which is funny to say about a gray group of pixels! It was exciting to see the little heart beating, though! And a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you ever read 'super fudge'? they name the dog Turtle because (if i remember correctly) the dog eats the pet turtle. maybe that's what we'll nickname you.

    i am so happy you posted the first pics of the little booger! (too early to call it a booger? maybe that should wait till it's old enough to have boogers?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do remember Superfudge. Turtles are so...weirdly affectless...and not cuddly...I guess that's my aversion.

    Booger is a good name for it. I have a really hard time calling it a baby. Maybe because it's like the size of a grape. I wonder when snot forms...I guess outside the womb. Hmmm. Another question to ask the midwives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is booger doing? Any updates?

    ReplyDelete