Friday, October 16, 2009

A Midwife and a Psychic

So, we had our first prenatal appointment yesterday. The highlight was the hour of paperwork. Really - a full hour. Actually, it was fine. I discovered that Kiyomi's phone has tetris on it, so I was happy.

The midwife Susan was pleasant and very thorough going over basic info. They look at your eating habits, etc. - nothing terribly exciting. I really feel I'm not eating enough...but I've been feeling so barfy, I guess I should just focus on the fact that the food I've eaten has stayed down. Woo-hoo! Victory!

Anyway, they listen for the heart and do a vaginal exam next time - at 12 weeks, so that's when the real excitement happens! Today they just made me pee in a cup and drained several vials worth of blood out of my arm. I've had blood drawn three times in the last few weeks. Fun. Other than the exceedingly irritating people in the waiting room - god, yes, your baby is cute (I'm a Scrooge, I know.) - it was a good appointment. Kiyomi wanted to kill this loud woman whose ring tone was a particularly holy version of AMAZING GRACE.

Monday is Dr. Hutchison - and, I think, a heartbeat. If there is one!!!! God, let's not think about that!

Kiyomi saw a woman she works with at the Birth Center when we were there - it was awkward as both she and I are extremely early in our pregnancies. Oh well. That woman might just assume Kiyomi was there for a regular hoo-hoo check up. Who knows? I have wanted to tell a few other people, but I am refraining. I had one extremely weird experience with my friend Colby who I used to work with and is in my writing group. I was in Antigone's (bookstore where she still works) and she looked directly at me and asked if I was pregnant. I was probably just 6 weeks pregnant at the time and completely flabbergasted. I am really not good at straight-up, unprepared untruths. I just stared at her for a minute. She said that I just had "a look" about me. Then I said, "Uh, talk to me later...we're trying." I guess I hoped that she assumed we'd tried and I didn't know. Freaky, though! Fortunately not everyone is psychically perceptive like Colby.

No comments:

Post a Comment